Back to the pub for community at centre of manhunt

Dezi Freeman and his property
A search for accused cop killer Dezi Freeman remains ongoing in blizzard-like conditions. -PR IMAGE

A country pub at the epicentre of the search for a man accused of shooting dead two police officers is throwing open its doors as police scour the area in blizzard-like conditions. 

Dezi Freeman, 56, was still at large on Friday following the fatal confrontation on Tuesday at a property in Porepunkah, about 300km northeast of Melbourne.

The rural town's population of about 1000 had been told to remain inside their homes for days and only come out if needed.

But on Friday, it was returning to some type of normalcy as the local pub announced it would reopen after an "incredibly difficult and unsettling time".

"We know many in our community are still processing and seeking connection, and we want to offer the pub as a safe and welcoming place for people to gather," Porepunkah Pub said on social media.

"We believe in the strength of this community and the importance of coming together in moments like these."

Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Mike Bush said he understood people needed to go about their lives and confirmed police supported their decision. 

"Stay safe, be vigilant, and we are there to support you, but if you see anything that you believe is suspicious or could be this person, please ring triple zero," he said.

Premier Jacinta Allan said members of the Porepunkah community had been "living under this heavy shadow" but were not alone.

It comes as Freeman's 42-year-old wife Mali and 15-year-old son were arrested on Thursday night following an operation at an address in Chandler Court near the town's centre, before they were interviewed and released.

"There may or may not be charges that follow," Mr Bush said.

On Friday morning the street was quiet and the curtains on the property, where two cars were parked out front, were drawn.

Mr Bush said the search was continuing for Freeman, who is married with three children, and police are investigating possible sightings.

"There have been alleged sightings which we're exploring. We can't confirm that they are of him, but if you think you see him, let us know. We'll explore it," Mr Bush said.

Freeman - also known as Desmond Filby - fled into bushland after he allegedly killed Detective Leading Senior Constable Neal Thompson, 59, and Senior Constable Vadim De Waart, 35, at a Porepunkah property on Tuesday.

More than 450 police officers have been deployed to the rural town, backed by the Australian Federal Police and officers from NSW, South Australia and the ACT.

A Special Operations Group helicopter had been circling the property on Friday morning, and a convoy of police cars, including an armoured Bearcat vehicle, was seen soon after.

"We are not leaving here until this person is in custody," Mr Bush said.

"In fact, if that person is listening, it really is time to lay down your firearms and give yourself up so that we can all bring this to a safe conclusion."

Concerned friend Marlie Thomas said Freeman had become more withdrawn in the days before the fatal shootings.

She attends the local Our Lady of Snows Catholic church alongside Freeman and his wife, which will remain closed this weekend.

"We knew he was withdrawing a little bit," she told AAP.

"We said, 'we've got to keep a closer eye on him'."

She urged Freeman to "please come in, hand yourself in".

Wintry weather including up to 115km/h winds and blizzard-like conditions is lashing the region and is expected to continue overnight.

Destructive gusts have already toppled trees on Friday afternoon, blocking roads.

Mr Bush said the inclement weather made the search more gruelling but maintained his officers were used to working in such conditions.

"It doesn't help us, and I'm sure it doesn't help the person we're looking for," he said.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese on Friday paid tribute to the dead officers, calling them heroes, and offered his thoughts to the injured officer.

A 56-year-old detective who was wounded during the attempt to deliver a search warrant over alleged child sex offending remains in hospital awaiting a second surgery after he was shot in the lower body.

Mr Bush warned that anyone considering aiding Freeman in escaping or avoiding arrest was committing a criminal offence and needed to tell him to hand himself in.

Ms Allan confirmed the state government had offered to support the families of the two fallen officers with funeral arrangements.

Freeman, who has bush survival experience, was last seen wearing dark green tracksuit pants, a dark green rain jacket, brown Blundstone boots and reading glasses, police said.

He is believed to be a sovereign citizen, an ideology that rejects government authority and whose followers believe the rule of law doesn't apply to them, and who disassociate from society.